Head and Neck
Head and Neck Cancers and Disorders
Led by Dr. Peter Vosler and Dr. Justin Shinn, our head and neck cancer and microvascular surgery team provides a comprehensive program to diagnose and treat patients with a verity of both benign and malignant tumors of the head and neck.
The areas of the body include the oral cavity (lips, tongue and mouth), the throat and airway (pharynx, oropharynx, larynx and glands), and the sinonasal cavity (nose and sinuses), as well as facial and soft tissue of the head and neck.
As members of the Head and Neck Cancer care team at Sarasota Memorial’s Brain D. Jellison Cancer Institute, our surgeons are supported by a team of highly trained endocrinologists, otolaryngologists, pathologists, radiologists, advanced practitioners and speech pathologists who collaborate to personalize treatment plans addressing your unique condition and the care you will need before, during and after treatment. The expertise of our team and our multidisciplinary approach improves our patients’ outcomes.
Head and Neck Cancers We Treat
- Head and Neck Cancers including HPV-Related
- Tongue Cancer
- Throat Cancer
- Glottic Cancer
- Laryngeal Cancer
- Hypopharyngeal Cancer
- Oropharyngeal Cancer
- Oropharynx Cancers
- Nasal Cancer
- Parotid Gland Tumors
- Salivary Gland Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer
- Parathyroid Cancer
- Sarcoma of the Head and Neck
- Skin Cancer of the Head and Neck including Melanoma, Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment
Sarasota Memorial’s integrated cancer care program uses a multidisciplinary team-based approach to leverage our specialists’ collective experience and expertise in diagnosing and treating even the most challenging Head and Neck cancers.
The program features an infusion center, offering traditional chemotherapy and the latest targeted therapies, as well as a radiation oncology center. Surgical and interventional options using the most innovative, minimally invasive tools and techniques like DaVinci Robotic-assisted surgery, are provided in the new 8-story Oncology Tower at Sarasota Memorial’s Sarasota campus. The tower has 56 private inpatient suites dedicated to cancer treatment and recovery, the latest treatment and surgical technology, 9 new operating rooms and a full array of patient navigation, counseling and support services.
Surgical Treatments for Head and Neck Cancers
- Tumor Excision
- Palatine Tonsillectomy
- Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS)
- Transoral Robotic Radical Tonsillectomy
- Transoral Robotic Lingual Tongue
- Total laryngectomy/total laryngopharyngectomy
- Partial laryngectomy/voice preservation
- Airway reconstruction
- Tracheoesophageal puncture
- Neck dissection for thyroid cancer lymph node metastases
- Orbital exenteration
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Submandibular gland excision
- Excision substernal goiter
- Microvascular free flap reconstruction (anterolateral thigh, fibula, scapula, radial forearm and temporoparietal fascia free flaps)
- Regional pedicled flaps (facial artery myomucosal flap, submental artery island flap, temporalis flap, pectoralis major flap)
Non-surgical treatments for Head and Neck Cancers
- Imaging-guided treatments, including embolization and tissue/tumor ablation therapies
- Laser therapy
- Specialized radiation therapy treatments
- Targeted Drug Therapy
Cancer Care Beyond Treatment
For more information about the Brian D. Jellison Cancer Institute’s integrated cancer care approach and support programs that focus on the whole person, helping patients – and their families – through the physical, emotional and mental effects of cancer, click here.
Accreditation & Honors
The Brian D. Jellison Cancer Institute at Sarasota Memorial carries the nation’s highest level of accreditation by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC). It has maintained continuous CoC accreditation since 1988.